It's been a while since I looked at this code, but I'm probably the most
familiar with it.  The close loop benchmark you are looking at records each
latency in a histogram called `recorder`.  At the end of the benchmark, the
latencies are added up and the 50th / 99th percentile is reported back.
 Also, the total number of RPCs made during the interval are sent back
too.  (based on the the number of items recorded to the histogram).

I believe this code is used for all the dashboard results.   The client and
server are driven by their input configuration, which is actually triggered
by benchmarking code
in
https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/836f4c64d006581b219b69de4b46bb212d5ddda0/tools/run_tests/performance/run_worker_java.sh

The setup for this is more complicated than we would ideally like it to
be.   The code you are looking was intended for you to see how we setup our
code under test; the rest of the scaffolding is not as easy to follow sadly.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/a189086a-c058-4d37-ac79-beaf65e730e4%40googlegroups.com.