Thank you,

Indeed it seems to be the case that it is more like IsFailed() instead of
IsCanceled().

If i examine the *grpc_call*
<https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/f3b28b81cf5825ce41cbfdf1a926972227034d91/src/core/lib/surface/call.cc#L205>

struct, (accessible through the c++ API
<https://grpc.io/grpc/cpp/classgrpc_1_1_server_context.html#ac23879ea6fee39bbe27c6b6192989d61>,

but using it will require including non-public core lib headers? Which i do
not want to do.) it has an *grpc_call_final_info* member defined here
<https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/dc46c7f565196d6684d5cf6ee81e99b413ba5282/src/core/lib/channel/channel_stack.h#L86>
.
Which includes a *grpc_status_code*  and error message, I do not know if
these are set on the server side, but this might be something to expose on
the C/C++ API?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/505433e8-0b74-44f0-9895-d097a240b786%40googlegroups.com.