Hi,

Is there a chance to add details to errors generated by gRPC layer itself
to distinguish different scenarios instead of forcing gRPC users to analyze
error message client-side? Parsing error messages is error-prone as they
are not standardized across different languages and can change over time
without any warning (and strictly speaking are not a part of api).

Few examples we'd like to differentiate:
1.1. ResourceExhausted returned by python server in case of exceeding
concurrency limit - it's safe to retry request to different server (server
is known to not starting processing the request) and is quite common for
python setups
1.2. ResourceExhausted returned by any server in case of too big
metadata/message - it's useless to retry it as message size doesn't change
1.3. ResourceExhausted returned by any server in case of too big response -
it's dangerous to retry non-idempotent request as server already processed
it once
2.1. Unavailable returned by application logic to indicate some dependency
being down, it can or can not be safe to retry depending on the specific
scenario
2.2. Unavailable returned by client to indicate that all connections are
down, it's safe to retry with a hope that new connection becomes established
2.3. Unavailable returned by client to indicate that current active stream
was terminated

We're interested in having individual grpc-transport-specific error codes
for individual cases for better attribution of failure scenarios (in
metrics/tracing) to improve system's visibility and in some cases for
reacting on them differently.
While some of this cases can be mitigated by ensuring that we always
properly attribute our own application-specific errors, grpc-own errors are
still indistinguishable in some scenarios [1].

1. https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/master/doc/statuscodes.md

Thanks

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/34fca033-da2d-4ff3-b4be-cd4bde890b1b%40googlegroups.com.