Hi,

I recently pinned down a sporadic race condition in my application due to
grpc intializing OpenSSL internally. The problem is that OpenSSL has some
global callbacks that grpc is trying to initialize on it's own without the
authorization of the application. The problem is in the
init_openssl call in ssl_transport_security.cc which trounces similar calls
from the application. The situation is made worse(race condition) if some
application threads already have locks acquired via previous calls and then
grpc changes the stuff underneath before the locks are released (hence the
race condition).

My application has usage of OpenSSL in a wider context than just grpc. I
get the point that grpc is wrapping this up to make it easier for standing
up an application with grpc but I think such type of things should be
accompanied by a compile/run time option supplied at grpc_init that let's
application decide the right owner. I am fine with the option defaulting to
grpc initializing the OpenSSL internally.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/cfee1a2d-73c9-45b0-856e-8ec5dff9c37e%40googlegroups.com.