Hi Colin,

In the Istio scenario, if an application needs to call Google APIs, my
understanding is that it does not connect to local proxy, the app still
connects to Google API using SSL and use call credential on top of the
secure connection, envoy proxy will pass through the traffic.

There are two cases here
1. Developer of a call credential decides whether the call credential can
be sent through insecure channel.
2. User/App decides whether call credential can be sent through insecure
channel.
I am assuming you are interested in case (1)

In case (1). grpc core and wrapping languages only allow call credentials
on a secure channel. gRPC Go and Java allow developers to set
transport_security level on a call credential (e.g., in Golang,
https://github.com/grpc/grpc-go/blob/master/credentials/oauth/oauth.go#L107).
If you develop your own call credential and you do not require secure
channel, you can set the RequireTransportSecurity function to return false.

We could update grpc core to potentially allow call credential to be sent
over insecure channel (based on developer's configuration). Google call
credentials such OAuth token will always require secure channel through.
Given Istio scenario you described is not a valid use case, we will only
implement when resource is available.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/dbb08d3d-1c69-4ef9-9c11-9c982b2b3553%40googlegroups.com.