On Tuesday, August 21, 2018 at 3:28:24 AM UTC-7, Pau Freixes wrote:

> I've realized reading the current Grpc code that exists [1] other
> alternatives to the completion queue next, the pluck and the callback
> one.
>
> I've been trying to seek some information, or usage, of these
> alternatives and I found nothing.

There's some documentation in grpc.h [1] for
grpc_completion_queue_pluck. Most of the documentation for the core C
library is in grpc.h. The difference is that grpc_completion_queue_pluck
takes a tag to wait for, while grpc_completion_queue_next does not: it
returns some ready tag, whatever it may be.

grpc_completion_queue_pluck is often used to implement synchronous
processing, while grpc_completion_queue_next is used to implement
asynchronous processing.

The callback variant is very new and is still experimental. That's
likely why it is lacking documentation. From vjpai's pull request that
added the initial implementation [2]:

vjpai > This is not ready for public use at the current time. There are no
vjpai > end2end tests possible until after #16298 lands and is implemented
vjpai > with a real backing poller, but there is now a unit test added.

[1]:
https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/82bc60c0e13bfb00213b3a94ba72893d044e4c9a/include/grpc/grpc.h#L115-L140
[2]: https://github.com/grpc/grpc/pull/16302

--