This is to answer a question originally asked
on https://github.com/grpc/grpc-java/issues/4696 by chabmed:

Hi, maybe it's not a bug I just need some clarification about the health
check,
https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/master/doc/health-checking.md, it's
mentioned that the empty string should be used as the key for server's
overall health status. But inside the code i'm not seeing anything special
using empty string, and when querying the helthStatus check with empty
string, i receive UNKNOWN_SERVICE. I want to use this rpc for the
readinessProbe in kubernetes. i'm seeing in the master branch (1.17.0) the
class HealthStatusManager

/**
 * The special "service name" that represent all services on a GRPC server.
It is an empty
 * string.
 */
public static final String SERVICE_NAME_ALL_SERVICES = "";

But it's not used. Am I missing something here, I know it's still an
experimental API, should I implement my own non grpc health check in this
case?

To use health-checking service, the application should create a
HealthStatusManager and register getHealthService() to the server. The
application can then set the serving status on the HealthStatusManager
whenever desired. Because the serving status is always associated with a
service, designated by a string, we define the empty string as the special
service name to indicate the "whole server". This is a convention meant to
communicate the health status of a whole server between the client and the
server. The SERVICE_NAME_ALL_SERVICES constant is for the application
server to use to set it, and for the application client to query it through
RPC.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/0860740c-286b-4015-9545-9d93d14389a8%40googlegroups.com.