Hi,

I am trying to follow the steps outlined
https://grpc.io/docs/quickstart/php.html to install gRPC and protobuf for
PHP on CentOS 7 but I am running into an error on when I am trying to build
the PHP Protoc Plugin.

I am installing the gRPC PHP extension and Protobuf Runtime library via
PECL. I am using gRPC version 1.6.0 and Protobuf version 3.4.0 as these are
compatible according to the documentation.

The error I get when I to run *make grpc_php_plugin *inside the grpc
directory is:

[AUTOGEN] Preparing protobuf
configure.ac:94: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/local/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
make: *** [third_party/protobuf/configure] Error 1

I have tried to rerun after installing *libtool* and rerunning the command
gives the following error (same error occurs even without installing
libtool and rerunning):

[MAKE]    Building protobuf
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
configure: error: cannot find install-sh, install.sh, or shtool in "."
make: *** [/grpc/libs/opt/protobuf/libprotobuf.a] Error 1

Has anyone seen this error before in PHP and can give insight into a
solution?

Thanks.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/grpc-io/43bcb3bf-93c9-4eee-ab23-f282a9cae130%40googlegroups.com.