The main gRPC libraries *only* use HTTP/2. As you saw, they negotiate the
same protocol during NPN step of TLS handshake: "h2". It is more likely
that whatever analysis tool you used in the first case did not recognize
"h2" as the HTTP/2 protocol, so treated it as an unknown application
protocol.

----
*Josh Humphries*
jh...@bluegosling.com