There are two different questions:
1) will the grpc-web JS client use streams API? Yes, for response streams.
Request streams are not yet finalized on whatwg. We are doing some Chrome
Origin Trial right now.
2) will protocol translation be required even with streams? Yes, e.g. to
support HTTP/1.1, or address Web platform constraints.

Feel free to file a github issue on grpc/grpc-web on any doc issues or
roadmap discussion.   Thanks.