That's mysterious, do you know what the state of the DNS records are when
this occurs? And would it be possible for you to upgrade your gRPC library
and try to reproduce this? v1.36.4 is over a year old, and a fair handful
of bug fixes have gone in since then.

We've been unable to reproduce this failure in testing, and would
> appreciate any pointers:

Regarding that, are you able to reproduce the conditions in which the
failure occurs, or are they maybe not fully understood? e.g., run a local
DNS server for testing, and modify its records.