Yeah... It's been hard to have clear messaging here, because we've been
trying to figure it out. The messaging is mostly avoiding over-promising,
but where "in practice" fits in is still murky.

gRFC P5 says we could have "dropped" Java 8 already. That's obviously not
happened. v1.57.0 did have the oops for Java 8, but that was an accident
due to tooling dropping Java 8 support. That "oops" was pretty useful as
many Java 8 users noticed very soon after the release, which is a strong
demonstrator of interest. Upstream Java 11 becomes security-only support at
the end of the month, and I'm already seeing tooling drop it, so we're
probably going to have to use Java 17 for release builds soon (still with
support for Java 8).

"dropped" is not the right word. Even after we drop Java 8 from master,
we'd keep a branch alive for it. And as long as people remain interested in
it we can have fixes and releases. Given the community discussions I've
heard, I don't think interest in Java 8 will die before Temurin's Nov 2026
(currently promised) support ends. Google at least looks like it would
remain interested
<https://cloud.google.com/java/docs/supported-java-versions#keeping_production_systems_current>
that point (Sept vs Nov is basically the same at this distance).

The thing I don't know is at which point Java 8 is dropped from master, and
stops seeing new features. Earlier this year I knew "we'd wait at least
until September," so that Java 8 and 11 would share a branch. But now that
we're here in September... ??? Probably sometime between 6 months from now
and 2026...