Hi,

I assume you are building gRPC with OpenSSL.

1. We do have some support for the Engine APIs
(https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/6534f0a6bfc1cfae6db931f9ee16f480de980374/src/core/tsi/ssl_transport_security.cc#L568)

of OpenSSL 1.0.2. Unfortunately, because the feature was implemented quite
a while ago, the test
(https://github.com/grpc/grpc/blob/3717ff04bafd18504d8613d753d4605927305de3/test/core/end2end/h2_ssl_cert_test.cc#L263)

has been broken and yet to be fixed. Regardless of the test, if we assume
this still works, would it accommodate your use case? Note that you'd be
locked into OpenSSL 1.0.2.

2. If the option 1 above is not viable but OpenSSL Engine APIs will indeed
solve your problem. Would you be interested in contributing to supporting
this feature for more recent OpenSSL versions (namely, OpenSSL 3)?

Please let us know if you got any questions.

Best,
Luwei