Hello gRPC C# Users!

In May 2022 we extended <https://groups.google.com/g/grpc-io/c/OTj5mb1qzb0>
the maintenance of Grpc.Core, updating the original announcement
<https://grpc.io/blog/grpc-csharp-future/> from 2021. We have yet another
update for you today - while we still plan to deprecate Grpc.Core in the
future, we decided that 2023 is not the right time to do it.

Here are the main reasons for delaying the Grpc.Core deprecation beyond the
originally planned date of May 2023:

   -

   Grpc.Net.Client <http://grpc.net.client> does work on the legacy .NET
   Framework, but it requires a recent-enough version of Windows. The rollout
   of the necessary patches to Windows (specifically to their WinHttpHandler
   component) has been slower than anticipated, so some windows versions where
   Grpc.Net.Client <http://grpc.net.client> over WinHttpHandler doesn't
   work (e.g. Windows 10 and Windows Server 2019) are supported by Microsoft
   and are still relatively widely used.
   -

   We received feedback that Grpc.Core is very useful when migrating
   systems from .NET Framework to the more modern .NET 6+, so keeping
   Grpc.Core available for a little longer would make it easier for users to
   move towards platforms where grpc-dotnet is better supported.
   -

   Google API client libraries still use Grpc.Core when running on some
   legacy systems (namely on .NET Framework)

As a result, we are delaying Grpc.Core deprecation until further notice,
but at least 1 year from now (i.e. until at least October 2024). Until
then, Grpc.Core will remain to be supported in the "maintenance mode":

   -

   The team will limit any interventions regarding Grpc.Core to a bare
   minimum. This is to decrease maintenance costs and reduce the risk of
   breaking something. This means we will only make critical and security
   fixes for Grpc.Core going forward.
   -

   Grpc.Core is expected to stay at current maintenance branch (v1.46.x
   <https://github.com/grpc/grpc/tree/v1.46.x> on the grpc/grpc repository)
   as long as that's technically feasible
   -

   The actual deprecation date for Grpc.Core is currently unknown and will
   be provided via an update in the future (consider Grpc.Core as in
   maintenance mode until then). The deprecation date is likely going to be
   aligned with end of support of one of the legacy platforms (e.g. Windows 10
   goes EOL), but this is something that will be determined later, based on
   technical circumstances.
   -

   Note that as soon as Grpc.Net.Client <http://grpc.net.client> on .NET
   Framework works on a given platform, we will consider that as the platform
   being sufficiently well supported to not require Grpc.Core. Note that this
   means that after the Grpc.Core deprecation happens, there can be legacy
   platforms where only the gRPC client will be supported (and not the gRPC
   server).

Feel free to reply to this announcement with follow up questions and
requests for clarification. For major issues connected to the
migration/deprecation plan, you can file an issue on github as usual.

On behalf of the gRPC team,

Jan

--

Jan Tattermusch

Software Engineer

Google Germany GmbH

Erika-Mann-Straße 33

80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Liana Sebastian

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich. Falls sie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten
haben sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter,
löschen Sie alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen,
dass die E-Mail an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.

This e-mail is confidential. If you received this communication by mistake,
please don't forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and
attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.