Usually gRPC tries to bump the version of Protobuf every time Protobuf has
a new release to make two libraries work together. But gRPC can work with
older versions of Protobuf in general. You can try using older protobuf
with the latest gRPC. Sometimes you might see build errors because of
breaking changes Protobuf sometimes introduced. Note that protobuf
introduced two major things recently; new Abseil dependency and Cord
support. Those may prevent you from pairing new gRPC and old Protobuf but
you can try it.