As mentioned in the core concepts guide
<https://grpc.io/docs/what-is-grpc/core-concepts/#channels>, the exact
behavior of closing channels is language dependent.  Note that you can have
multiple RPCs simultaneously using the same channel.  As long as a channel
is "active" it will stay connected.  For streaming RPCs, the keepalive
<https://grpc.io/docs/guides/keepalive/> call option can keep the channel
connected even when there are long breaks between messages.

Hope that helps,
  Larry