On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 7:24 AM Jan Beulich <jbeul...@suse.com> wrote:

> On 13.03.2024 16:07, Ross Lagerwall wrote:
> > In addition to the existing address and ELF load types, specify a new
> > optional PE binary load type. This new type is a useful addition since
> > PE binaries can be signed and verified (i.e. used with Secure Boot).
>
> And the consideration to have ELF signable (by whatever extension to
> the ELF spec) went nowhere?

I'm not sure if you're referring to some ongoing work to create signable
ELFs that I'm not aware of.

I didn't choose that route because:

* Signed PE binaries are the current standard for Secure Boot.

* Having signed ELF binaries would mean that code to handle them needs
to be added to Shim which contravenes its goals of being small and
simple to verify.

* I could be wrong on this but to my knowledge, the ELF format is not
being actively updated nor is the standard owned/maintained by a
specific group which makes updating it difficult.

* Tools would need to be updated/developed to add support for signing
ELF binaries and inspecting the signatures.

I am open to suggestions of course but I'm not sure what benefits there
would be to going the ELF route.

Ross