Hey all,

I've been having a poke around with GSAS-II, testing it out by using it to
do some fairly basic multiphase quantitative analysis, and I'm having a bit
of trouble calculating the amorphous content. I'm using the method as
outlined in the paper 'Rietveld quantitative amorphous content analysis'
by A. G. De La Torre et al. in which the overestimation of the internal
standard is used as the basis for estimating the amorphous content. I'm
using the phase fraction/weight fraction of the standard from the .lst file
for input into the equation described in that paper.

The problem I'm having is that despite getting a relatively good fit to the
pattern (down to Rwp of  approximately 4% or so), the Rietveld weight
percent of the internal standard is coming out lower than the actual
(weighed) weight percent that was added to the sample. Which results in a
negative percent amorphous content. So I'm just wondering if there's any
known issues with calculating amorphous content this way, or if there's a
preferred method amongst GSAS users that might yield better results.

As a side note I've previously used TOPAS to calculate the amorphous
content on a set of data, and I've tried using that data as a control to
see what GSAS-II would come out with. That data showed up as 50% amorphous
content according to TOPAS. Whereas GSAS-II showed around 5%. Of course
there are probably differences in how weight percent & amorphous content
are calculated between the programs but the size of that difference is a
contributing factor to my worry that I've missed something fundamental.

In terms of additional information, I'm working with laboratory XRD data
with cobalt radiation, with corundum as the internal standard. If there's
any other info that would help with advice please let me know and I'll do
my best to provide it. Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, hope this isn't
too trivial a question to be posting here. :)

Kind regards,
Phill