Solved.

So there were a couple of problems.

First problem:

 - gstreamer calls register_printf_specifier to register some printf extensions.
 - however, the glib supplied *printf family doesn't support registered
extensions.
 - since I was cross-compiling, autoconf couldn't do AC_TRY_RUN()
   to determine whether my target's *printf() was
   C98/C99/positional-parameters compliant and as such defaulted
   to 'no' which meant I got the glib built-in printf which doesn't
   support the registration of extensions and hence any debugging
   output containing any of the custom format characters simply
   failed.

First problem resolved why we were unable to get any reasonable debug output.

Second problem was the consistant failures to negotiate among streams and so
forth.

This turned out to be a steady belief within gstreamer that our PowerPC was
little-endian
and hence the various 64 bit scaling functions (and probably lots of other
things) were
incorrectly manipulating int's...  The fix turned out to require us passing
GLIB_CFLAGS
to 'configure' to point at our cross-compile sys-root instead of
/usr/include/glib-2.0.
This allowed <glib.h> to find <glibconfig.h> and everything became immediately
happier.