> Am 07.12.2019 um 12:12 schrieb Andreas Kemnade <andr...@kemnade.info>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 08:37:23 +0100
> "H. Nikolaus Schaller" <h...@goldelico.com> wrote:
>
>> I just came across:
>>
>> https://www.crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop/updates/measurements-and-a-hypothesis
>>
>> So they also ran into unexpected solder bridges which must be X-Rayed. This
>> sounds very very familiar to me...
>>
>> With our experiences collected in the GTA04 project many years ago, I think
>> it
>> is easy to fix - if you have enough money or can borrow money to make some
>> costly experiments with the production line setup.
>>
>> But borrowing money requires a business model which promises future revenues.
>>
>> Without money it needs a lot of creativity and time to replace the missing
>> money.
>>
> or buy the technically demanding parts ready made and use things like som
> boards. Today
> the LogicPD torpedo stuff would be interesting to build something like the
> gta04.
> DM3730 + PMIC.
> But if you have size restrictions things are getting difficult. And probably
> the product will be more expensive.

Right. The LogicPD is 15 x 27 x 3.8 mm

There was also a DM3730 + PMIC + RAM module from a company called JorJin. I
think I still
have some samples collecting dust. But it was still too thick for the GTA04
project
where we only have 2 mm between PCB and battery.

And of course such modules are costly.

But if I would design a new device including case, I'd try such an approach.
Maybe around
some tiny i.MX8 module or if lower performance suffices, around the OSD3358 SoM.

>> Which leads to delay and delay and finally the product is working but
>> obsolete
>> and only the brave initial sponsors remain. So there is nobody following up
>> the
>> initial funding round.
>>
>> The rule of thumb in consumer electronics is that there must be a successor
>> product (at least an upgraded version) every 1-2 years.
>>
>> Let's see if Librem 5 can build up a sustainable business (unfortunately I
>> have
>> difficulties to believe).
>>
> Yes, interesting question. Same question about PinePhone.
> The latter one has a lower price at the moment.

Indeed. I didn't mention it since a lower price has a better chance of building
demand - but profitability and therefore being able to sustain, is a completely
different question.

BR,
Nikolaus