Owen Taylor schrieb:

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 15:22 +0100, JÃrg Henne wrote:

}

As you can see, I tried both suggested routes. However, both of them lead to the same problem:

Entering
Handle: 0x34000c1

(process:11392): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:1871: initialization assertion failed, use g_type_init() prior to this function

Are you sure you are using WxGTK as the widget system for your python script? .. this warning would imply to me that nothing has ever initialized GTK+ or the underlying object system.

(If you were using pyGTK, there are a wrapper for eggtrayicon floatng
around though it's not in the standard bindings.)

well, I had a good look at the wxPythonGTK code (use the source, Luke) and it turned out that the documentation is wrong, indeed: the returned handle is already an X-Windows window ID. This leaves me with the problem how to retrieve the corresponding Display, of course. And this time I see little opportunity to retrieve it, since the window handle is just an ID. It may finally be necessary to switch over to pyGTK, indeed.

Thanks for your help!
Joerg Henne