I'm author of a gtk app which has been in development since gtk 1.2. Over that time I've seen many fine improvements in gtk; I've tried to keep pace with them and my application has benefited greatly
(I have forked a gtk 1.2 version, but have continued to add features that depend on gtk 2.X++).

That said, there's one thing in recent gtk that I'm concerned about. It makes sense that gtk should take over some features previously supplied by gnome, but I don't like to see a covert gnome dependency in gtk. I'm therefore troubled by this sort of thing: when I open my app (gtk2 version, compiled against gtk 2.6.7) on a non-gnome (or non-current gnome) system and use the file chooser, I see:

(lt-gretl_x11:27643): Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'gnome-fs-home'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
http://freedesktop.org/Software/icon-theme/releases

The freedesktop.org URL is spurious (flakiness of wiki?), but that's a minor issue. The more substantial issue is that I don't feel that my gtk app should depend on the installation of gnome themes.

I went ahead and downloaded hicolor-icon-theme, version 0.5 (after wading through several layers of the freedesktop wiki to find it),
but when I stalled this package in the same place as gtk2 (namely /opt/gtk2), it did not remove the warning quoted above.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics