On Mon, 24 Oct 2005, Gus Koppel wrote:

Allin Cottrell wrote:

I've successfully used memprof for leak-checking my app in the past,
but on trying it recently something odd happens: memprof starts up
OK, and it also starts up the target program, but the target program
is not visible (doesn't appear on screen) and memprof records no
memory usage.

Any chance this could be either
a) some sort of incompatibility by standard system components, like libc

Could be -- it's quite a while since I ran memprof successfully and I may have updated libc since then (I'm using glibc 2.3.5).

b) a problem of insufficient execution permissions? Try as "root".

I just tried that and it made no difference.

You could also try to utilize "strace" to get an idea whether any stupid
and unreported ENOFILE error (or similar) cumbers memproof execution.

Tried that too: I couldn't see any obvious error conditions. The trace ends with a lot of "poll" and "gettimeofday" calls.

The strange thing is that the target app appears to be running OK when started via memprof (I can see its PID with ps): it's just not visible, as if its execution has somehow got hung up.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics