I seem to remember something about libglade only being able to find pixmaps
in the same directory as the glade file.

If you search google for "libglade pixmaps" there's more info. I ended up
hacking my configure.in to always install the pixmaps in the same dir as the
glade file, not pretty.

And while working I always have to do a make install if I change either the
pixmaps or the glade file so at runtime they can be found.

I'd love to know a better solution. Maybe the solution's not the use glade?