You can go in and mess with the contents of the dialog. Somewhere I think I
have
a function that "walks" the tree of widgets within it printing out relevant
information.

Such a solution is completely and horribly non-portable between versions of GTK
of course.

(So yeah, it would be great if GtkFileChooser had a few functions for accessing
various logical component widgets.)

Reed