On Feb 3, 2008 8:41 AM, Fred Müller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> I'm wondering whether XML/glade based widget creation and 'standard'
> widget creation combine.
> All widgets are generated by libglade-2.0. Changing the text in an
> existing label works, adding a label to the table doesn't:
>
> {
>        GtkWidget *l, *tl;
>        if( !(tl=glade_xml_get_widget( pgcw.xml,
> "table_mancontrol_lamps" )) ) {
>                fprintf(stderr,"%s: can't get lamp table widget\n",
> __func__ );
>                return(-1);
>        }
>        l=gtk_label_new("foo");
>        gtk_table_attach_defaults( GTK_TABLE(tl), l, 2,3,2,3 );
>        return(0);
> }
>
> Are standard gtk calls failing since glade changes some internal
> callbacks when creating the table, or am I missing something obvious ?
> (I wouldn't think its some buffer issue, since the above routine gets
> called once via g_idle_add and the label doesn't appear after
> resizing/iconify). table size is 4x4 in the XML file.

 Could it simply be that you forgot to gtk_widget_show() the label ?

libglade doesnt do anything sinister that I know of to tables, the fact
that you are modifying a constructed table may change things, could
your widget be shown underneath another widget already on the table ?

> Second question:
>
> Entries to a notebook all use the same layout and different variable
> space. The layout for the first page is generated, amongst the rest of
> the GUI, using XML/libglade, the others are to be cloned at runtime
> (number of notebook pages is only kown at runtime). What's the "good"
> way to do this ?
> I realize one way is to use glade_xml_new with root and domain options
> and attached the tree at the notebook. Right ?
> Is there a general way to cut/paste a widget subtree to a different node
> within Gtk ?

No there is no safe object copying mechanism in place, nor is there a
recursive
one, better to use the "root node" argument like you mentioned to build
templates
and just modify them as needed while adding to the interface.

Cheers,
                       -Tristan