On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Gregory Hosler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
>  I have some old code, that in many places is using underscores instead of
> dashes. e.g.
>  "button_release_event"; in fact I have cases where the same signal is
> g_connect'ed in
>  different places in the code, one place with underscores
> ("button_release_event") and the
>  other place with dashes ("button-release-event").
>
>  My question: Is one preferred over the other ? is the underscore deprecated
> ? What's the
>  best spelling to use ?

They are synonymous, but afaik they are all defined as dashes,
generally I always use dashes.

One slightly relevent thing though, when dealing with the GObject
"notify" signal, the
dash and underscore are not synonymous for the property names
(i.e. "notify::button-style" is not synonymous with "notify::button_style")

Through normal property accessors; dashes and underscores are also synonymous,
i.e. g_object_get (object, "button-style", &style, NULL) is the same as
g_object_get (object, "button_style", &style, NULL).

I believe the only exception here really is the signal detail
arguments that depict
property names.

Cheers,
                  -Tristan