On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Thomas Stover <tho...@wsinnovations.com> wrote:

[...]
> Indeed. Not building interfaces manually may save time now and then, but it
> hinders your understanding of what is happening. For instance when you want
> to dynamically make interface changes at run time your left with simple hide
> & show tricks. I can remember more than once when I wanted to tweak someone
> else's UI so as to do something like add a button that breaks out some
> widgets into a new window or adds some more widget filled h/vboxes in the
> mix, only to start looking at the code and see no code. Simple things become
> intrusive. Using helper tools is fine and wonderful, just don't strive for
> oversimplifying everyone else's world.

Im not exactly sure what your trying to say, my understanding is that
in the modern world you create widget subclasses when you need
composite/dynamic widgets, all widgets are generally layed out in some
kind of form, or multiple forms.

Thats my understanding of the bleeding edge of the GUI, I think the OSX tools
(Xcode/Interface Builder) are a little bit ahead of us on this front
... but not by
much, considering that what we can potentially pull off is not restricted to
Obj-C or any particular platform.

Ofcourse I dont always read the headlines, so I would love to hear what
other people think is the bleeding edge to strive for in the world of GUI
development, really.

Cheers,
         -Tristan