On Wed, 21 Sep 2011 07:13:56 +0100
John Emmas <john...@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> An interesting point.  Technically, the "Library" GPL and the
> "Lesser" GPL aren't the same document - even though they might have
> the same wording.  Just as a loan agreement signed by me isn't the
> same legal instrument as one signed by my neighbour - even though
> they might come from the same lender and have identical wording.  The
> original Lesser GPL has been superseded and programmers using Lesser
> GPL code are often free to choose version 2 or later, at their
> discretion.  However, gtkmm isn't released under the Lesser GPL.
> It's released under the "Library" GPL which I suspect isn't the same
> legal instrument as the one that that got superseded.
>
> As with most legal documents, the only people they tend to benefit
> are the lawyers..!

Your views are highly idiosyncractic (to choose a more neutral
expression than FUD).  On looking at the source files, I see that it is
in fact GTK+ which is released under the LGPL-2 or later, at the choice
of the user. gtkmm is released under the the LGPL-2.1 or later at the
choice of the user.

The LGPL-2.1 itself says "This is the first released version of the
Lesser GPL.  It also counts as the successor of the GNU Library Public
License, version 2, hence the version number 2.1".  Where a licence
includes the words "or (at your option) any later version", the
licensee in effect allows a user to adopt any license which the FSF say
is a later version of the original license.  Some developers (the linux
kernel developers in particular) do not like this, and do not include
the "or (at your option) any later version".  However, GTK+ and gtkmm
do include those words.

In any event, your "later versions" point is immaterial to your view
that the LGPL-2 and 2.1 do not allow derived works which only link
dynamically to the library, because both use exactly the same words.  It
is also completely contrary to the purpose of the LPGL, which is clearly
intended to allow dynamic linking without applying restrictions of use
to the object code.

Your views seem to be intended to discourage the original poster from
adopting GTK+/gtkmm. You no doubt have your own reasons for
discouraging commercial use of GTK+, but as I say that is clearly
contrary to the intention of the licence and of the GTK+ project.

Chris