Il 20/01/2012 18.08, Jack ha scritto:

However, that is separate from knowing that the button has been pushed,
so you can then start the communications. For this, is there any reason
to use a custom signal? Wouldn't it be easier to catch the standard
signal emitted when a button is pushed, by attaching a call-back routine?

Infact there is no need for a custom signal once you know about GIOChannel.
But my question was intended for general cases. If I need to trigger a complicated task when a button is pushed I'll write a callback to manage the standard signal in which I'll start my $COMPLEX_PROCESS then return. The question was about how to write $COMPLEX_PROCESS: it doesn't involve GUI so it doesn't have any standard signal, but I'd like to have the signal-callback paradigm and I was wondering if GTK gives me some tool or if I have to rely on an external infrastructure for it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something: remember, I'm really new in this world and my questions could and probably are stupid...
--
Regards,
Manuel Ferrero

Reer SpA
Tel.  +39 011 2482215
Fax. +39 011 859867

L'utilizzo non autorizzato del presente messaggio e' vietato e potrebbe
costituire reato.
Se il presente messaggio non e' a Lei indirizzato, il suo contenuto non deve
essere considerato
come trasmesso o autorizzato dalla Reer SpA; in tale caso Le saremmo grati se,
via e-mail,
ce ne comunicasse l'errata ricezione.

The unauthorized use of this e-mail is prohibited and could constitute an
offence.
If you are not the intended recipient of this message its contents shall be
understood as neither
given nor endorsed by Reer SpA. Please notify Reer SpA by e-mail immediately in
that case.