On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 02:36:03PM -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
>       i've seen this  and don't like it; i'd rather have every
>       Konsole have its own menubar.  same with other GUI apps.

Me too but OS X does this.  Aparrently, it does not matter nowadays
whether something makes sense or not but only whether OS X does it...

Some methods how to disable it are described here:

    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/disable-appmenu-global-menu-in-ubuntu.html

In short, get rid of it globally:

    sudo apt-get remove appmenu-gtk3 appmenu-gtk appmenu-qt

or disable it while running specific program:

    UBUNTU_MENUPROXY= program args...

>       at least for ubuntu linux, i
>       need the `gtk-config --cflags [etc]`

You definitely do NOT need gtk-config.  It was used in Gtk+ 1.x and has
been replaced with pkg-config.

>       it may be hthat ubuntu is moving toward gtk-3.0   and
>       dropping the older releases.  {?}

It should not be directly related to these issues although Gtk+ 3.x
indeed will bring new methods to do unexpected things to menus.

For me this all means classical application menubars are dead and I will
not use them in newly written programs at all.

Yeti