On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 09:23:35 +0100
jcup...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi again Osmo,
>
> On 31 May 2012 17:50, Osmo Antero <osm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Jcupitt:
> > Ok, g_idle_add() seems to need protection by gdk_threads_enter() and
> > leave().
> > Ref:
> > http://developer.gnome.org/gdk/stable/gdk-Threads.html#gdk-threads-add-idle
>
> That's out of date. g_idle_add() does not need any locking by you.

I think you may be confusing this with the fact that with glib >= 2.32
it is no longer necessary to call g_thread_init() to make glib thread
safe, which is of course a completely different issue.

There is a proposal to deprecate the use of the GDK global lock, but in
a program which does use it, g_idle_add() does not exempt you from the
need to invoke the global lock in idle callbacks, either by doing it in
the idle callback yourself or by calling gdk_threads_add_idle().

The better approach is not to use the GDK global lock.

Chris