On Sun, 2014-08-03 at 00:21 +0530, Gurjot Singh Bhatti wrote:
> This may have been asked many times already

Yes, in the last years a have found a few similar questions with google,
in most cases not with VERY helpful replies.

I myself have used cairo with a GTK drawing area for my schematics tool,
and it was not a bad choice for that task: It gives me all the freedom I
need for that application, it looks fine and is fast enough -- I am not
sure if Ruby or cairo is currently more the limiting factor, I guess
both. (I am using bounding boxes for my objects and redraw only when
content has changed. http://www.ssalewski.de/PetEd.html.en)

I think your general conclusion is right, but you do not report about a
few important aspects: First, when you have already experience with Qt,
why do you not use QGraphicsView? I heard it is fine -- for C++ it may
be a good choice, for other languages you have to check if bindings are
available -- I think not for Rust or Ninrod, for Julia, Haskell I am not
sure.

One important aspect may be drawing performance. Cairo in not very fast
by default, I think OpenGl and multi-treading support is limited, at
least I found no nice examples for really fast drawing. And generally
OpenGl for GTK is not very well supported -- GTKGLEXT may work with
GTK3, but I am not sure and there is not much recent activity.