Another equivalent scons-based way of compiling for windows with gcc is
shown in my program giv.

See: https://github.com/dov/giv/blob/master/SConstruct

SCons uses the Sconstruct files to do the cross-compilation and also calls
out to nsis to create a windows installer.

The complete gtk run time is only about 20MB in size (at least for gtk2)
which with todays hard disk sizes really is negligable, so I agree that
there is no reason to try to create a common gtk runtime.

I still remember the frustration back in the days when there was a common
run environment and installing glade would make inkscape or gimp fail, or
vice verse. Individual run time environments is really the way to go!

For a peak into the bad old days, see e.g. the following thread:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.gtk%2B.general/16828

Regards,
Dov