On Sat, 2016-12-31 at 10:05 +0000, Gergely Polonkai wrote:
> It would be helpful to see your exact use case. If you put only
> buttons in your GtkBox, you will be fine with gtk_dialog_add_button().
> If you add other, more complex widgets, there might be a design flaw
> in your application. Solutions in between might be OK, but without
> knowing what you want to achieve, it's hard to tell.

Thank you for you quick reply. I guess the answer to my question was
"no".
There isn't the manpower to investigate the purpose of this bit of code
nor to start re-imagining the design 17 years in to this project,
unfortunately.

For now, I see that I can get at the action area via

action_area = gtk_widget_get_parent (cancelbutton);

which will be ok unless the GtkDialog widget gets some new internal
implementation. Perhaps this will be useful to other developers hitting
this deprecation.

Richard