Ok, now I thing I got it. Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!

El 29/03/18 a las 16:28, Emmanuele Bassi escribió:
On 29 March 2018 at 15:12, rastersoft <ras...@rastersoft.com <mailto:ras...@rastersoft.com>> wrote:

            [get the Gtk font type and size]

            Ops, sorry: I'm reworking a backup utility that I wrote
            (cronopete), and
            I added a timeline with the backups (you can see an
            screenshot at
            http://www.rastersoft.com/cronopete_screenshot.png
            <http://www.rastersoft.com/cronopete_screenshot.png> ). As
            you can see, at
            the left is the timeline and it has the days, months and
            years. I think
            those should use the same typography than the standard Gtk
            widgets, but
            reducing the size to 2/3. The same for the titles in each
            "pseudowindow"
            (they have a visual effect: they go forward and backwards
            when you move
            through the timeline).

        ...I must be missing something here...
        You can change font size in a layout. The scrolling might be
        tricky, but
        just eyeballing it, sounds like something that can be done by
        showing
        the layout twice at different coords in different clips
        (cairo_save/cairo_restore brackets).

        So...?

        (Only thing I'm not quite sure about right now is if gtk fully
        initializes
        font description in a layout, cause I vaguely recall that it might
        not... though maybe that was just wrt. theming API...)

Mainly the problem is that I'm using cairo_show_text...

That's the Cairo toy text API; you should only use it for tests or small examples; it's basically useless for anything user-facing.

    I presume that what you say is that I should replace all that with
    Pango... Now I have some problems: first, I'm using vala and I
    can't find the "get_pango_layout" from a widget. It exists
    "create_pango_layout", so I suppose that this is the call I need
    to create a layout.

Yes, the function is `gtk_widget_create_pango_layout()`: https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkWidget.html#gtk-widget-create-pango-layout

    Now the big question is: does ANY widget return the right layout,
    or I must use a widget designed to contain text (like a Gtk.Label)
    to get that layout, paint into it, and paste it in the final Cairo
    canvas (which won't be the same canvas than the Gtk.Label from
    which I created the layout)?

All widgets that need to render text call gtk_widget_create_pango_layout() internally, including GtkLabel.

Ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--
https://www.bassi.io