On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM, Paul Davis <p...@linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Jan Jokela <janjok...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >. But for the App to
> > be cohesive with the platform, the theme (the design and usability
> features
> > of widgets) must remain identical.
>
> this notion of cohesiveness with the platform doesn't seem to bother
> the developers of most pro-apps. Ableton Live, probably the biggest
> selling music app of the last 5 years, looks nothing like the OS X or
> Windows platform. Cubase/Nuendo, ProTools (and other AVID products),
> Digital Performer, Sonar ... these are not cohesive with the platform.
> FCP(X) is, but only because it is an apple product that runs only on
> OS X.
>
> there is a place for cohesiveness with the platform: that place is for
> platform-provided tools. things outside that domain: i'd just say give
> it up and not worry about them (but try to make their developers'
> lives easier anyway).

Even though Final Cut Pro is a good example maybe Pro applications as a
category weren't the best.

Take iPhoto, Calendar and similar apps, even the ones not developed by
Apple.
Many of them style widgets to a certain look and feel and most have a bunch
of custom widgets. And I see this as  essential for making great
applications even though it requires a rather fixed theme.

Jan.