On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 4:09 PM, Jasper St. Pierre
<jstpie...@mecheye.net> wrote:
> The major issue is that "Unicode character" doesn't have a good
> definition. The most likely definition is a "Unicode code point",
> however, Windows uses "Unicode character" to mean a UTF-16 byte
> sequence, which means that any code point above the Basic Multilingual
> Plane is really composed of two "Unicode characters", which are, of
> course, surrogate pairs.

Terminology can certainly be confusing at times, but I think that a
Unicode character is a perfectly well-defined entity, non-withstanding
the fact that it can be represented in various encodings (a utf8
sequence, a ucs4 word, a utf-16 surrogate pair, etc).