> Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 15:45:14 +0200
> From: Murray Cumming <murr...@murrayc.com>
> To: Timm B?der <m...@baedert.org>
> Cc: gtk-devel-list <gtk-devel-list@gnome.org>
> Subject: Re: gtk4: gtk_box_pack_start()/end() porting
>
> On Wed, 2017-05-03 at 15:45 +0200, Timm B?der wrote:
> [snip]
> > [1]Even though spacing *should* probably be handled by the theme, so
> > the
> > theme can decide whether UIs are more spacey or more narrow, nobody
> > has
> > come up with a proper way for applications to specify that.
>
> Yes, I've never liked how applications have all these magic values
> sprinkled through their code.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
>
> --
> Murray

In case anyone is interested in my anecdote...

I'm using GTK+ 3 (for the forseeable future) but have stopped using widget
:margin and :spacing - juuust in case they get removed at some point in the
future. There's a general trickle of things like that being removed from
the widget side, so better safe than sorry.

Doing these in CSS instead - while it involves some horrifying hacks that
almost certainly break some cases, which I don't use yet - does mean that I
can use relative units like em for spacing out my UI. That said, this also
means that (unless I start generating CSS providers on the fly) I have to
know in advance which levels of spaciness I want and define them as CSS
classes.

But, whatever the limitations may be, this is working for me right now, and
it's liberating both in the sense of cleaning up my source code and scaling
far better with changes to font size, DPI, etc.