On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 1:17 AM John Emmas <j...@creativepost.co.uk> wrote:

> I realise it's a deprecated interface but can anyone explain what
> Glib::Threads:Private<SomeObject> does?
>
> Does it guarantee that 'SomeObject' can only be accessed by code running
> in a particular thread?  And if so, does it do that by creating a
> specific thread for the object - or does it use whichever thread was
> running when Glib::Threads:Private got called?  Hope that makes sense....

It means that each thread that accesses the variable sees a distinct or
"thread-local" version of it.
The language runtime creates memory for thread-local storage at program
startup, and each thread has its own section (inaccessible from other
threads) where these "thread-local" variables are allocated.