Actually, I did get some replies, privately to me, that's why you didn't
see them.

1. I missed GSoC this time. I didn't have enough time to contribute to
projects and find ideas. And until next year there's a lot of time...
I'll try in 2014 :)

2. Freelancing requires knowledge. I tried it, but I can't find anything
for which I don't need to learn many new things. Too many job require
web technologies and many things I don't know.

3. Putting a website and maintaining it is a lot of work, and I don't
know much about web and server tools. The best I can do with my little
spare time is start a simple website using an easy CMS, and even then, I
don't have any visible products to show off.
I do work as fast as I can to complete the first version of my project,
which will fully build and run with a minimal set of features.

4. My code is fine, the problem is that it's not worth much because you
can't build and run it yet.

5. I already work in the university. But I teach math and physics, I
don't work on software. And until yesterday I didn't even know what a
sysadmin is.

You see, there are lots of part-time jobs for students, but they all are
related to websites: sysadmin, PHP/Javascript/HTML/CSS, stuff like that.

I'm not a geek. I don't know THAT much. I know C++ and I can write all
kinds of desktop apps using it. The problem is that all the C++ jobs
require you to be an engineer with +3 years experience. Nobody's giving
students a C++ coding job... unfortunately.

But thanks for the ideas :)

The biggest problem, for all of us actually, is that we need to do what
people pay us for, not what we really want to do.

For example, I'm very interested in Semantic Desktop. The plan for my
app involves both task and project management like no other
free-software app dies currently, and unique semantic-desktop
capabilities. It's all very interesting and I'm excited about it, but
who's gonna pay me for working on it? I don't need the millions paid to
engineers, I just want to work on what I enjoy and succeed at.

But those rare packages related, such as Tracker and Zeitgeist - who
develops them? WHRERE are they developed? Somewhere in Europe, far far
away from where I live. RedHat happens to have a sub-company here in
Israel, but they work on virtualization and Cloud tech and other things
I don't care about (and I hate the concept of Cloud computing, which is
an excuse to store user data online and abuse it).

I'll try to contribute to free software and get more experience, but
ironically, it will give me less time to work on my own project, less
time for studying... and the worst part, I won't get paid.

Don't get me wrong, I do want to contribute and I have lots of ideas and
plans, and lots of projects I'll happily participate in (Gnome,
Trisquel...), but who's gonna pay for my food and rent while I do that?

Enough with that, there's lots of work to do! :)