Looking through the Compiz code, Compiz *should* be respecting the hints.
It takes the hint that GTK+ has and removes the action:

http://git.compiz.org/compiz/core/tree/src/window.cpp#n667

This is then set to the _NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS property on the window,
which the decorator (which I believe is unity-window-decorator in the
version of Ubuntu you have) then picks up (through libwnck) and paints the
minimize button on the frame.

Can you check with xprop what the value of _NET_WM_ALLOWED_ACTIONS is on
the window?

  Jasper