hi,

connect a callback to the "delete-event" associated with the new window.
 you are keeping track of which tabs are where at any given moment, so when
you receive the "delete-event" callback, simply move the tabs found in that
window back over to the notebook in the original window.

it is a question of intercepting the the widget destroy event on the window
before GTK+ has a chance to issue destroy events for all its child
widgets..  Re-parenting your notebook tabs before they are issued destroy
events is key.

richard