On GNOME on ArchLinux for years now, on HiDPi since Dell XPS (early 2015)
without problems at all.

I don't remember which GNOME it had by that time, but it was looking
gorgeous (and still does, looking forward to try 3.22).

However, I guess it's a matter of pixel density. If you have node tweak
tools you can try to change Window scaling in the window panel from 1 to 2
(or whatever you'll find convenient).

Alternatively, you might try what's suggested in ArchLinux Wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#GDK_3_.28GTK.2B_3.29

Summarized here:

To scale UI elements by a factor of two:

export GDK_SCALE=2

To undo scaling of text:

export GDK_DPI_SCALE=0.5

I hopw one of these solutions work.