Thanks for the reply Emmanuele. If I'm understanding correctly what you're
saying, I don't think the blurriness is from pixelation, e.g. turning a 16px
icon into a 2x scaled and pixelated 32px icon. If you take a look at the two
screenshots, most noticeably the the NetworkManager Wifi icon, you'll see that
the blurriness isn't from pixelation that would be caused be 2x scaling an
icon. It was properly scaled before I set the GDK_SCALE and GDK_DPI_SCALE
environment variables. It looks to me that GDK_SCALE and GDK_DPI_SCALE are
causing the tray icons to double in size again, then they get smashed and
blurred. I'm not sure if the tray applications I've tested this on are to blame
or if GTK3 is to blame. Like I said, the tray looks fine, as seen in the
screenshot, without the environment variables. But I need the environment
variables to make the GTK applications themselves, such as nautilus or evince,
to scale correctly for HiDPI.

Best Regards,
Daniel Anderson