Hi,

from what i can see, evince as well as chrome use gtk 3:

-> % ldd /opt/google/chrome/chrome | grep gtk
libgtk-3.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0
(0x00007f3ea3bef000)

-> % ldd /usr/bin/evince | grep gtk
libgtk-3.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk-3.so.0
(0x00007efe063d8000)

And my gtk version is  3.22.26-2 (from debian testing).

I was wondering about comment here:
https://github.com/GNOME/gtk/blob/365707e4eb56097496de07e0e160d7a81f242854/gtk/gtkscrolledwindow.c#L619

Thanks for the hint. But it seems that the error resides somewhere else.
I'll take a look at the events comming from libinput.

Roman