Hi,

18.12.2018 17:31 Vanessa McHale <vanessa.mch...@iohk.io> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> [...]
> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.28.0...
> *** 'pkg-config --modversion glib-2.0' returned 2.58.1, but GLIB (2.56.3)
> *** was found! If pkg-config was correct, then it is best
> *** to remove the old version of GLib.

Here seems to be the answers to your question:

> You may also be able to fix the error
> *** by modifying your LD_LIBRARY_PATH enviroment variable, or by editing
> *** /etc/ld.so.conf. Make sure you have run ldconfig if that is
> *** required on your system.
> *** If pkg-config was wrong, set the environment variable PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> *** to point to the correct configuration files
> no
> configure: error:
> *** GLIB 2.28.0 or better is required. The latest version of
> *** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/.

And here are the questions which I'd like to answer more thoroughly:

> I have GLIB 2.58.1 installed locally and GLIB 2.56.3 installed via my
> distro. Is there any nice flag I can pass to the configure script to
> make it ignore the error and prefer the locally installed library?

Which version do you want to use and which is actually used instead?
What are the contents of your PKG_CONFIG_PATH and LD_LIBRARY PATH
environment variables?

It seems to me that your PKG_CONFIG_PATH is set to your locally installed
glib2 but your LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set to your systemwide glib2.
If you want to use the locally installed library then set LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to your local installation (actually: this is a list of paths so your
local path must precede the default system path). If you want to use
the systemwide glib2 then set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to /usr/lib64/pkgconfig
or whatever is the correct location of the *.pc files in your system,
or do not set it and let pkg-config use its default locations.

You may consider using jhbuild [1] [2] which sets the environment
correctly or you may analyze its behavior to implement your own scripts.

Regards,

Rafal

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/jhbuild/
[2] https://wiki.gnome.org/HowDoI/Jhbuild