On 14-02-01 11:53 AM, Jim Charlton wrote:
On 14-01-31 12:53 PM, John Ralls wrote:
On Jan 30, 2014, at 11:55 AM, John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:

On Jan 30, 2014, at 10:22 AM, Jim Charlton <j...@jimc.dyndns.org> wrote:

On 14-01-30 09:05 AM, Ronan Waide wrote:
On 01/30/2014 04:42 PM, Jim Charlton wrote:
I have recently built gtkmm (jhbuild, meta-gtk-osx-bootstrap and then meta-gtk-osx-gtk3, and finally, meta-gtk-osx-gtkmm3) on a MAC MAVERICKS machine. All went well. I then recompiled a substantial program. After some minor adjustments, the code executed as previously compiled on a MAC LION machine... but... icon images do not appear in the dialog boxes and when run from a console window I get the following error message.

Gtk-WARNING **: Could not find the icon 'dialog-warning-symbolic'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
   http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

hicolor is in the .../gtk/inst/share/icons directory... but it seems like it is ignored.

If I install the hicolor theme to /usr/local/share, then this message goes away but the icons are still missing.

Anyone have any hints as to how I can get the icons back?

sounds like this bug:

cheers,
Waider.

Thanks for the link. I have read all of the comments there and perused the documentation cited. It is an interesting academic discussion... but I do not see clearly how I can edit my code to adjust to the new reality of the deprecated GTK stock items. SInce I am working with gtkmm code, it is one level of abstraction above the GTK+ code. So what do I do with lines like: Gtk::MessageDialog dialog("Dialog message", FALSE, Gtk::MESSAGE_WARNING, Gtk::BUTTONS_CLOSE);
to get a warning icon to appear in the dialog box?  Any further hints?
I'm actually trying to figure that out now. In the case of the Gramps bug, most of the icons do appear. At the moment I'm working the angle that there are some icons which are provided by some other package besides hicolor-icon-theme; gnome-icon-theme seems a strong possiblity.
OK, after debugging I found that there are two separate issues. First, one needs the gnome-icon-theme, gnome-icon-theme-symbolic, and gnome-themes-standard packages to actually get the icons. Second, one needs gtk+-3.10.3 or later, because earlier versions didn’t default to checking the “gnome” icons by default even though a number of gtk internal things use them.

As for the changes to your code, you can still use the stock items, you’ll just get deprecation warnings. The new regime is to use the icon name that the stock macro defined as, e.g. instead of GTK_STOCK_ABOUT use “gtk-about” or “gtk-about-symbolic”.

I’ve pushed the necessary changes to the modulesets, including upgrading gtkmm3 and glibmm to 3.10.1 and 2.38.1 respectively, matching the versions of gtk+-3.0 and glib.

Regards,
John Ralls

John:

Many thanks for all of your help. Unfortunately, I find that the meta-gtk-osx-gtk3 build now fails with: gtkselection.c:2297:5: error: non-void function '_gtk_selection_request' should return a value [-Wreturn-type]
    return;
    ^
5 warnings and 1 error generated.
make[4]: *** [libgtk_3_la-gtkselection.lo] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2
*** Error during phase build of gtk+-3.0: ########## Error running make -j 3 *** [10/17]

This is on a virgin MAC MAVERICKS OS X where I installed Xcode, Xcode tools, gtk-osx-build-setup.sh, (set PATH), jhbuild boostrap, jhbuild build python, (set jhbuild alias), jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-boostrap, and then jhbuild build meta-gtk-osx-gtk3. I am using the stable moduleset.

jim...   Jim Charlton