On Mar 31, 2013, at 10:55 AM, t.te...@gmx.de wrote:

> Dear all, dear John,
>

> John has recommended:
> > > [current Gtk-OSX-build fails on Tiger: no fonts displayed]
> > The easiest way for you to proceed would be to clone gtk-osx and
> > checkout a revision from before last November and build against
> > those modulesets.
>
> HOORAY, I MADE IT!!!!!!!
>
> Thanks for all recommendations and helpful instructions!
>
> I went back to some pango version without harfbuzz and it
> worked out.  My Macports setup (extract...) is:
>
>   cairo       @1.12.14_0+quartz
>   gtk2        @2.24.16_0+no_x11+quartz
>   pango       @1.30.1_1+no_x11+quartz
>   gdk-pixbuf2 @2.26.5_4
>   glib2       @2.34.3_0
>
> Unfortunately deprecated routines (like gdk_font_draw_text)
> do not work, but I have now ported my program to use Cairo
> exclusively and now everything is fine.
>
> I did not expect deprecated routines to fail silently: either
> they should work or compilation/linking should fail.

Yay!
So are you building with MacPorts or GtkOSX? The two are mutually
incompatible...

There is no function gdk_font_draw_text, deprecated or otherwise. There's a
gdk_draw_text, which isn't deprecated --
but it's also not in Gtk3, so rewriting your program to use Cairo directly is a
good step. If there are functions that fail silently
in quartz it's likely that they are stubbed out -- meaning an empty function
present just to get your program to build and run.
The choices are to implement them or (as you have done) work around them. If
you feel strongly that they shouldn't be there the place to take that up is
gtk-devel-list.

Regards,
John Ralls