> On Jan 13, 2017, at 1:57 AM, Gabriele Greco <gabrielegr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> A post yesterday from someone actually trying to build Gtk on a Tiger system
> raises a question I've been mulling for some time:
>
> Is it time to pull the plug on the older versions of MacOS?
>

> Tiger is ancient, at least in OSX relase pace, recently chrome dropped also
> 10.8...
>
> Build for ancient OSX is really hard on recent machines, if you use XCode 8
> you can build ONLY for 10.9+, and that's the target I use for the app I'm
> currently developing (a video converter), and for the opensource mud client
> that I wrote in the past that many OSX users like and use
> (http://ggmud.sourceforge.net <http://ggmud.sourceforge.net/>).
>
> Obviously building for 10.9+ I can also target only x86_64, and that is a
> further semplification of the development process.
>
> In fact given today's security environment I think that supporting ancient
> and no-longer updated MacOS versions is a disservice to users, who might get
> the message that it's OK to expose their insecure systems to the internet
> because someone out there still supports their system.
>
> Yeah, I agree with this too.
>
> I think that your proposed 5 years support is more than enough.

It might be true that the Xcode8 GUI won't let you set a target older than
10.9, but the compiler will build code that runs on 10.6 if you tell it to with
-macosx-version-min=10.6. Since the Xcode GUI is immaterial to this project,
for our purposes the minimum possible is 10.6.

Note, however, that language features are dependent on macosx-version-min. I
found the other day that if your code uses C++11 features from the standard
library the minimum version that will compile is 10.9.

32-bit code builds and runs just fine. It's arguable that there's no point if
one is targeting 10.7+, but that's different from "can't".

Regards,
John Ralls